What is rack mount battery-a complete guide of rack mount lithium battery
What is rack mount battery-why does the rack mount battery adopt the rack-type installation mode
Rack mount battery is a module in which batteries are stacked alongside a 19 inches high rack by connecting each other to enhance the power together. The rack mount lithium battery can also work independently without being stacked. In the battery module, several cells are placed in series and parallel.
A rack mount battery supplies uninterrupted power to connected devices when the devices need power or a power outage occurs. It provides power and prevents loss of data due to a sudden blink of the main power.
The rack mount battery adopt the rack-type installation mode because the battery pack itself has a metal or plastic shell, and the rack is to connect the battery pack in series and parallel.
What application does the rack mount battery used for
There are some applications of rack mount batteries. Rack mount batteries ensure a continuous supply of power to internet connections in household, business offices, industries, educational institutes, telecommunication centers, economics hubs, etc.
It provides a powerful stored energy or strong backup when the main power is off. It is used for home energy storage and also for mega computer networking centers where it not only supplies a continuous supply of power but also saves from the sudden shock of a power outage which can harm precious data.
Rack mount lithium battery vs rack mount lead acid battery-which is better
● Life span
Usually a lead acid battery should be replaced 5 times over 10 years which is the life of a lithium battery. The premise is to charge and discharge the batteries once a day.
● Environmental friendliness
Rack mount lithium battery is more environmental friendly then rack mount lead acid battery because lithium battery does not contain any harmful substances while lead acid battery contains pollution element like mercury, lead, cadmium and nickel.
● Charge and discharge rate
Lithium battery is more efficient when charging and discharging. It has a 97% charge and discharge rate while lead acid has only 80%.
● Energy density
Lithium-ion batteries can achieve an energy density of 220-250 Wh/L while lead acid batteries have 60-70 Wh/L.So under the same size, lithium-ion batteries are one-third the volume and weight of lead acid.
The rack mount lithium batteries are much more cost-effective than lead-acid batteries because lead acid batteries need to be maintained for every three to six months while lithium batteries need no maintenance.
So rack mount lithium battery is recommended for everyday life applications. People can install lithium batteries in full off-grid residences and need not worry about time-to-time maintenance as the lead acid batteries require.
What are the advantages of rack mount lithium battery
The rack mount lithium battery has prismatic lithium iron phosphate cells in them. There are many advantages of rack mount lithium battery which is shown below:
● Rack-mounted lithium batteries can work with inverters of different brands. At present, in the field of energy storage, lithium-ion batteries are the mainstream and new trend, so most inverters on the market can be matched with lithium-ion batteries.
● Longer lifespan than others
● More charging and discharging cycles(up to 4000 times)
● Capacity can be enhanced when sequenced parallel in a cabinet
● Easily installable
● Easily connectable with converters
When needing a maximum backup for business places, home uses, banks, UPS, or telecommunication centers, a rack mount lithium battery will be a good choice. TYCORUN ENERGY rack mount lithium battery has a lot of advantages. It is easily installable because people can connect one key without dialing and the battery can automatically identify the address. It provides nickel sheet to replace the acquisition line so it is easily connectable with converters. Moreover, both old and new batteries can be used at the same time.
What are the components of rack mount lithium battery
The components of rack mount lithium battery mainly include cell, pack, BMS, inverters, shell, rack, control box and so on.
A cell consists of a cathode, anode, electrolyte and a separator, which is the smallest unit of the battery pack. Of all the types of battery cells, lithium-ion cells have the highest monomer voltage and the highest energy density, so they can hold the most energy.
Battery pack is composed of batteries in series and parallel.
3. BMS (Battery Management System)
BMS is necessary equipped for lithium batteries. It checks the individual cell voltage, current, and temperature. It also controls cell balancing, charge and discharge conditions. When there are any damage, it triggers alarm and disconnect the battery.
Lithium batteries also run with inverters. Inverter is a device that converts DC voltage to AC voltage so that the rack mount lithium battery can power a variety of equipment.
● Power source: It can run on solar, battery, and grid.
● Technology: If rack mount lithium battery is connected to solar panels, a solar inverter with MPPT can charge the battery safer.
● It also has an exhaust fan and LCD.
5. Shell and rack
The battery storage pack in rack mount lithium battery has hard metal shell. Some energy storage battery manufacturers can also customize the battery case according to the customer’s needs. A metallic mounting to support the lithium batteries. This is to lift the batteries from the floor to allow batteries to be safely connected in parallel to obtain increased capacity or to be used separately, avoid moisture and provides better ventilation.
6. Control Box
The main control box is generally located on the top layer of the rack battery. There will be no batteries in it. The main control of the distributed BMS will be placed here and collect and summarize the status information of each battery pack for monitoring and management.
● Provides safety against overcurrent in a high voltage battery
● It conveniently disconnects the batteries from a power source and acts like a power breaker on the rack mount system
● Voltage rating is usually 48 V
How does rack mount battery backup work
A battery, an inverter, and a rectifier make the setup for this work. It works like a UPS and three components work in collaboration with each other.
● Cables are connected to the main source (input) and the batteries supply power to a device (output)
● When the main power is present, the rack battery gets charged during this period.
● The rectifier gets AC from the main source of power and converts it to DC in the batteries.
The common specification of rack mounts batteries
Most rack mount batteries adopt LiFePo4. We will discuss the common specification of a few models of lifepo4 rack battery.
|51.2v 100ah wall-rack mount lifepo4 battery 3U
|Max charging current(icm)
|Limited charging voltage(ucl)
|Max discharging current
|Discharge cut-off voltage(udo)
|Operation temperature range
|Limited charge voltage
|Storage temperature range
|Single module size/weight
Table The specification of 51.2v 100ah wall-rack mount lifepo4 battery 3U
Features of BMS in a rack mount lithium battery-are there any special requirements
The basic function of BMS is to save the battery from major mismanagement like overcharging or discharging. It looks after the temperature of the battery, the balance of charge in cells, and any loose connection or internal short circuits.
Features of Battery Management System (BMS):
● Controls over and under voltage:
BMS controls the voltage of cells if they are going to over or discharge, and saves the battery’s cell from serious damage
● Thermal inspection:
BMS sees if any thermal abnormality is going to occur and it stops the battery to gain more temperature. It can shut down the battery or cells to prevent any harm.
● Prevent short circuits:
BMS prevent the cells to get any internal or external short circuit.
● BMS manages cell charge balance
Rack mount lithium battery mainly uses a distributed BMS, which can slave control each battery pack and use a dedicated battery management circuit.
How to install rack mount battery
1. Battery module Installation
● Uncover packed battery by wearing gloves and goggles
● Carry the battery to the installation place
● Put the battery module on rack frame
● Fix the battery on the rack with bolts, and tight them well
Note: Install the battery on top self-first then proceed to the bottom.
2. Connect the cables
● Remove the side cover of the battery
● Connect the positive cable to the positive battery terminal and rectifier by the bolt
● Attach the negative output cable to the negative terminal of the battery and rectifier.
● Fasten the bolt to tight properly
3. Re-attach the protective cover or battery sides
4. Attach the battery cables to the brackets on the battery
5. Connect the communication wire
If the batteries are to connect in parallel then connect all batteries with cables with each other. Follow the same procedure from the first battery to the last one. After installing the batteries, check the connections and activate the system.
Usage tips for rack mount battery
How to use rack mount lithium battery
To make sure the safe use of lithium batteries, we should determine certain points to be noticed and reduce the expected risks.
Reduce battery installation risks:
● It’s better to let professional electricians install it to ensure safety. Improper installation can cause a battery to overheat
● Do not install different chemistry batteries to gather in a rack.
● Do not install rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries together
● Do not use batteries that are broken, damaged, swollen are crushed
Reduce battery storing hazards:
● Do not store batteries near fire
● They must not touch the metallic things
● They must not be placed near any chemical
● Do not store the batteries in the freezer or damp places
● Don’t throw batteries in the garbage but drop them in any certified dumpsters.
● Don’t throw batteries in the stove or heating place, it may cause a burst.
How to charge rack mount battery-do I need a special charger
The rack mounts lithium batteries should be charged adopting careful instructions set by the manufacturer. There are certain key instructions to be followed when you charge lithium batteries.
● Do not overcharge the batteries because it may cause damage, deformation, expansion and even fire. As a BMS can save the battery from major mismanagement like overcharging or discharging. It is necessary to choose a professional factory when buying rack mount lithium battery because it adopts intelligent high-end imported chip BMS system while small factories use domestic size or small factory protection boards, which have slightly poor safety and stability.
● Do not charge the batteries below the freezing point temperature
● Batteries should not be charged on heat-absorbing surfaces
● Do not use incompatible chargers for your batteries. Uncertified chargers can cause the battery to overheat.
Batteries with different chemistry and power capacity require a charger compatible with them. So using the wrong charger can harm the battery.
Lithium batteries have strong material used in their chemistry, they produce more power and need sophisticated and compatible chargers than other weak battery chemistry. Lithium batteries should not be charged with NiCad or NiMh battery chargers. As there is a difference in chemistry and power capacity. People should use special lithium ion battery charger to charge a rack mount lithium battery.
What kind of environment does the battery need to work
A rack mount lithium battery needs certain parameters to work properly:
● The environment of the battery should be clean, dry, and ventilated
● Batteries should not store are keep with corroding metallic cases.
● Batteries get damaged in heat so keep them away in a proper environment.
● The controlled charging temperature of LiFePO4 batteries is 0-45 degrees.
How to maintain rack mount lithium battery
To maintain the lithium batteries there are some points to be considered.
● Monitor the battery charging. The battery should not be charged at excessive temperature. Do not overcharge and overdischarge the battery.
● Check if the battery charging frequency is not too low.
● Check the compatibility of the charger, because a unmatched charger can damage batteries. Special charger must be applied as suggested by the manufacturer. Original chargers are recommended as the safe choice.
● Take notice of the environment around batteries as it impacts the performance of the battery. So keep the environment favorable for batteries.
● See the connector or cables of the batteries, either they are loose or tight.
● Check if the mounting racks are safely placed in the rooms. They need to be in a dry, cool, ventilated place.
● Check if the battery terminals are not corroded.
What to look for when choosing a rack mount lithium battery
There are certain points to consider while you are buying a rack mount lithium battery. Lithium-ion batteries are a strong competitor to traditional lead acid batteries due to some advantages. Although lithium batteries have a higher upfront cost, it is cost-effective and it pays back many awesome features and reduces the reliance of the people on the grid.
● These batteries are maintenance-free, highly reliable, and have a fast charge and discharge tendency
● They are compact with a smarter size
● They are expensive but cost-effective
● They are provided with a safer casing to prevent fire
To buy lithium-ion batteries we need to consider some points of their specification.
● Voltage and capacity
● Charge and discharge cycles
● Charge/discharge current
● Charge/discharge C rate
● Size and weight
● Communication protocol
● Maximum number of parallel connections
● Power output
● Storage Efficiency
Why is a rack mount battery backup UPS better than a normal battery for home energy storage
The term UPS is often misused for normal battery backup. UPS (uninterrupted power supply) is more advanced technology than a normal battery backup. And it has more protective features.
Basic similarities of UPS and a Home battery:
● Both provide instant power supply when grid power is out.
● They can supply power to the load in time and save precious computer data from being corrupted or lost, and any other similar interruption faced by other devices.
Triggering Ability: Rack mount UPS gets triggered immediately when blackout, brownout, or flickering of power occurs. On the other hand, a battery backup won’t get triggered always. UPS can filter the flickering power supply to provide continuous power to the devices when the battery is unable to filter flickering or power surge.
Choosing the better one: the advantages of a rack mount battery backup UPS:
● Simple installation and stable operation
● Easy maintenance
● Small in size and saves space
● Having battery over-voltage and under voltage protection, output over-voltage protection, output under voltage alarm, output short circuit, over temperature and other protection functions.
The choice should be mostly depends on the specific requirements. If you are using servers and computers having important data, a rack mount battery backup ups will be a batter choice.
Why is rack mount lithium battery expandable
How to parallel the rack mount battery
To connect the rack mount batteries in parallel, we use a jumper wire to connect the positive terminals of both batteries. Similarly, use jumper wire to connect the negative terminals of both batteries and so up to the N number of batteries.
In this phenomenon we get facts:
● The capacity will be increased
● Due to the increased capacity,the rack mount battery can run longer time
What is the maximum capacity a rack mount lithium battery can be connected to in parallel
To connect the batteries in parallel, we should connect positive to positive, and negative to negative. For this operation, more than two batteries are used to increase the capacity of the system for the specific device.
In a parallel connection, the voltage of the batteries remains the same but amperage multiplies the number of the battery. Capacity of the batteries can be increased up to the need of the specific application. For example, two 12v 100amp batteries in parallel can produce a capacity of 12v and 200amp.
Can the rack mount battery be connected in series-can I get a high-voltage rack mount battery
Theoretically yes. Rack mount batteries can be connected in series. When batteries are connected in series, a phenomenon is happen which is discussed below:
● In connecting series, the voltage of batteries added up
● The amperage remains the same.
● Using the batteries in series having the same voltage and capacity, otherwise charging problems and shortened life can be experienced.
So we got the phenomenon and came to know that we can add up more voltage by connecting many batteries in a series by using jumpers. However, in most cases, they are only connected in parallel. If they are connected in series, the voltage will rise, and the BMS needs to be customized to provide necessary protection.
Racks mount battery vs power wall-what are the differences and which one to choose
Here are comparative differences and similarities between rack mount batteries and powerwall.
● Installation methods (one on the wall and one on the shelf)
● Batteries used
All powerwalls use lithium-ion batteries, the old rack batteries use lead acid batteries, and now many manufacturers use lithium-ion batteries instead of lead acid in rack mount battery.
● Specific application scenario
The rack mount battery can be used for industry and commerce, and the powerwall is generally used for Writers.
● Both of them can only be connected in parallel
● Both of them are used for energy storage
In short, both rack mount battery and powerwall have their advantages. The choice of them should based on the specific needs.
Rack mount lithium battery vs generator-why rack mount lithium battery is much better for home use
The primary function of both systems is the same When keeping the devices on. There are some differences discussed below:
The upfront cost of battery backup is high while that of a generator is slightly low. However, generator needs fueling from time to time which makes it more costly. Nowadays, the oil price is very expensive, so the cost of generators is higher than usual.
● Environmental friendliness
Rack mount lithium battery runs on a grid or solar system while the generator is powered by fuel.So rack mount lithium batteries are more eco-friendly than generators as it does not produce a lot of CO2. Moreover, the rack mount lithium battery is quiet while generator is very noisy.
Rack mount lithium battery needs no maintenance while generator needs regular checkup from time to time.
FAQs about rack mount lithium battery
Can lithium batteries be mounted in any position
The lifepo4 rack battery can be mounted and charged in any position as they are solid. So the orientation of the battery does not affect its working even if it’s mounted upside down. But it is a safe way to mount the batteries with their terminals on top.
How long does a rack mount Lithium battery last
A rack mount lithium battery has a cycle life of up to 4000 times. So it’s life expectancy is around 10 years.
What is the best way to store rack mount Lithium battery
● Rack mount lithium batteries should be stored in a dry, cool, clean, and leveled the place.
● Excessive hot and cool temperatures can harm batteries if not protected well.
● You can keep batteries for short time without charging. And 3 months are recommended if properly stored to keep batteries without charging.
● Even on permanent installation, the same safety measures are followed to avoid battery damage
Is the rack mount Lithium battery safe
● Its BMS is provided with safety protection to looks after the temperature, internal short circuits and so on.
● It is provided with a certain insulation distance with an anti-leaking design.
● These batteries are provided with a Tamer Li-Ion battery monitoring system.
Can you connect rack mount Lithium battery to a solar system and a wind system
Yes. The rack mounted lithium batteries are a very advanced and popular selection for solar and wind system. The rack mounts lithium batteries are prismatic in a form that allows many advantages in both systems. They do not contain the liquid in them so they are prevented from any dangerous circumstances. Due to low maintenance and the smart size, these batteries are very useful to both setups. These batteries can storage a lot of power so are reliable for solar and wind systems.